Collections

Torchieres

Second quarter of the 19th century

  • Wood. Height: 266; diameter: 64 (Меб-707); Height: 266; diameter: 65(Меб-708)
  • Меб-707, 708

  • Received from the Mikhailovsky Palace, St Petersburg


These carved gilded tiered torchieres from a design by Carlo Rossi were made by Leblanc, the master carver, in 1825–1826 and lit up the Dancing Hall of the Mikhailovsky Palace. On the order of the grand-ducal couple Mikhail Pavlovich and Elena Pavlovna, this interior was one of the first completed during the building process. The high light fixtures with numerous candles gave the Empire-style decoration of the interior pomp and grandeur.


«Виртуальный Русский музей» в социальных сетях: