Painter, portraitist, genre artist. Studied icon painting at the St Sergius Trinity Monastery (before 1884), at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1884–1889), Higher School of Art, Imperial Academy of Arts (1894–1895), Fernand Cormon''''s studio and Académiede Filippo Colarossi in Paris (late 1890s). Academician (1903), full member of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1914). Contributed to the exhibitions of the Society of Travelling Art Exhibitions (1890–1892,1895–1918; member from 1895), Moscow Society of Lovers of the Arts (1893–1994, 1897), Petersburg Society of Artists (1894), Exhibitions of Modern Trends in Russian Art (1908), Contemporary Russian Art (Kazan, 1909), the Arkhip Kuindzhi Society (1909–1921, chairman), the 1st State Free Exhibition of Works of Art (1919), All-Russian Exhibition in Nizhny Novgorod (1896), World Exhibition in Paris (1900) and the Exhibition of Russian Art in New York (1924). Lived in Riga (from 1921).