Painter. Studied at the Penza School of Art (1898–1903) and the Higher School of Art, Imperial Academy of Arts in St Petersburg (1903–1911). Fellow of the Imperial Academy of Arts in Italy, France and Germany (1911–1912). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1904). Member of the Union of Artists (1939). Honoured Artist of the RSFSR (1947). Full member of the USSR Academy of Arts (1943). Stalin Prize winner (1950).