Sculptor. Studied in Petrograd / Leningrad at the Baron Stieglitz Central School of Technical Drawing (1908–1909); School of Drawing of the Society for the Encouragement of the Arts (1909–1911); Higher School of Art at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1911–1916). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1916). Vice President of the USSR Academy of Arts (1947–1966). Headed the sculpture studio at the Academy of Arts in Leningrad (1947–1952) and his studio at the Vasily Surikov Institute of Art in Moscow (from 1952). Winner of the Stalin Prize (1941, 1943, 1950). Gold medal from the Academy of Arts for the Lenin statue for the Soviet pavilion at the World Exhibition in Brussels (1958).