Painter. Studied at the School of Drawing, Society for the Encouragement of the Arts (1912–1916) in St Petersburg / Petrograd; Petrograd State Free Art Studios (1917–1918); VKhUTEMAS (1922–1925) in Moscow. Contributed to exhibitions (from 1913). One of the founders and teachers of the Free Art Studios (1918–1922), contributed to the establishment of the Museum of Painting Culture in Tula. Professor at the Moscow Institute of Fine Arts (from 1937), professor of the art department at the All-Union Institute of Cinematography (from 1945). Author of art essays and the book Colors in Painting (1957).