Graphic artist, painter, teacher. Studied at Egor Schreider’s studio in Kharkov (1895–1904); Faculty of Law, Kharkov university; Faculty of Law, St Petersburg university (graduated in 1912) and under Mstislav Dobuzhinsky, Boris Kustodiev and Evgeny Lanceray at the New Art Studio in St Petersburg (1913–1916). Taught at the Higher Art and Technical Studios/Institute (1921–1923). Curator of engraving at the State Hermitage (1918–1930). Full member of the Academy of Arts of the uSSR (1949). People’s Artist of the RSFSR (1962). Winner of the Stalin Prize (1946).