Painter, graphic artist, monumentalist. Studied architecture (1937–1940) and painting (1940–1946) at the Ilya Repin Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture. Contributed to exhibitions (from 1946). Taught at the Ilya Repin Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (from 1947), headed the studio of monumental painting (from 1953). Professor (1957). Full member of the Academy of Arts of the USSR (1966). People’s Artist of the USSR (1976). Winner of the Stalin Prize for "On Peaceful Fields" (1951). Awarded a silver medal by the Ministry of Culture of the USSR for "Awakening" (1958).