Painter, graphic artist, book and poster designer. Studied at the VKhUTEIN / Institute of Proletarian Fine Art / Ilya Repin Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1927–1933) in Leningrad. Member of the Union of Artists (1932). Taught at the Ilya Repin Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1933–1942). Designed posters for the Fighting Pencil group of artists (1941–1942). People’s Artist of the RSFSR (1956), People’s Artist of the USSR (1958). Corresponding member and academic secretary (1947), full member (1954), Vice President (from 1958), President (1962–1968) of the USSR Academy of Arts, corresponding member of the East German Academy of Arts (1963). Member of the Awarding Committee for the Lenin and State prizes (from 1960). Winner of the Stalin Prize (1948,1951). Awarded medals “For the Defence of Leningrad”, “For Valiant Labour in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945”, “For the Victory Over Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945” (1944–1945), Order of Lenin (1957), gold medal from the USSR Ministry of Culture (1958), silver medal at the World Exhibition in Brussels (1958), Order of the Red Banner of Labour.