1851, Count Sheremetev’s stud farm near Venyova (Tula Province) - 1895, Heidelberg (Germany)
Painter, draughtsman, illustrator. Studied under Ivan Kramskoi at the Drawing School of the Society for the Encouragement of Artists (1860-1867), and under K. F. Gun at the Imperial Academy of Arts (from 1867, occasional student until 1870). Simultaneously studied at the Institute of Technology (1874-1876) and at the Academy of Medicine and Surgery. Major gold medal for The Marriage in Cana of Galilee unfinished painting (1877). Fellow of the Imperial Academy of Arts in France and Germany (1880-1883, studios of G. Max, Y. Brandt and W. von Dietz). One of the founders of the St Petersburg Society of Artists (1890). Academician (1884). Professor (1893). Taught at the Baron Stieglitz Central School of Technical Drawing (1883-1895), supervised the battle-painting studio at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1894-1895). Contributed to many exhibitions in Russia and abroad.