Painter, graphic artist, theatrical designer, art theorist. Studied in St Petersburg / Pertograd / Leningrad at the School of Drawing, Society for the Encouragement of the Arts (1909–1910); Jan Tsionglinski’s studio in St Petersburg (1909–1912); Mikhail Berstein’s studio (1916); Elizaveta Zvantseva’s art school (1916–1917); Petrograd State Free Art Studios (1918–1921); Scientific Research Department at VKhUTEMAS (1922–1926), where he produced 30 paintings and the essay “The Path of True Realism in Painting”. Worked as assistant in Vladimir Tatlin’s studio. Contributed to exhibitions (from 1916). (1928). Taught at various art schools in Novgorod, Kiev and Leningrad (1919–1933). Set designer for theatres in Leningrad (1933–1941) and Lenfilm Studios (from 1940).