1835, Maximovka, Smolensk Province — 1896, St Petersburg
Sculptor, draughtsman, illustrator, author of sculpture projects. Studied at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1852–1858). Awarded a major gold medal and title of first-class artist for painting Graf von Tilly at Magdeburg in 1631 (1858). Won the competition to design the Millennium of Russia monument in Novgorod (1862). Academician (1869). Honourary member of the Escola Superior de Belas Artes in Lisbon (1864). Designed statues of Catherine II in St Petersburg (1863–1873), Admiral Alexis Greig in Nikolaev (1873, not preserved), Bogdan Khmelnitsky in Kiev (1888) and Catherine the Great in Ekaterinodar (1897, not preserved). Decorated ships of the Russian Navy. Published the “Bee” artistic magazine.