Painter, graphic artist, painting restorer, art and literature expert. Studied at the Moscow University department of mathematics (1911–1916), Vasily Meshkov’s studio in Moscow (1913–1914) and the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1914–1917). Worked as a restorer in the Central Restoration Studios (1924–1927); head of the restoration department at the State Museum of Fine Arts in Moscow (1927–1932), chief artist at the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition (1938–1939, 1949–1950), designer of the Soviet pavilion for the International Agricultural Exhibition in Prague (1948). Winner of the Stalin Prize (1943, 1948). People’s Artist of the USSR (1944). Full member of the USSR Academy of Arts (1947). Doctor of Art Studies (1951).