Graphic artist, painter, theatrical designer, teacher, landscapist. Studied at St Petersburg university (1895–1899). Studied at Lev Dmitriev-Kavkazsky’s School of Painting in St Petersburg (1890s) and at the schools of Anton Ažbe and Simon Hollosy in Munich (1899–1901). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1902). Designed for theatres in St Petersburg and Moscow and Sergei Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes (from 1907). Taught at Elizaveta Zvantseva’s school of painting and drawing in St Petersburg (1906–1910) and the Petrograd State Free Art Studios/ VKHUTEIN (1918–1923). Emigrated (1924). Designed for theatres in Riga, Paris, Kaunas (1929–1935) and New York.