Painter, graphic artist, teacher. Studied at the Stroganov School of Art and Industry (1901–1907) and the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1907–1911); studied lithography. Contributed to exhibitions (from 1906). Member of the Union of Artists (1932), chairman of the Moscow Union of Artists (1938–1941). Taught at the State Free Art Studios / VKhUTEMAS / VKhUTEIN in Moscow (1920–1929); Moscow Textile Institute (1930–1931); Moscow Printing Institute (1930–1936); Moscow Institute of Fine Arts / Vasily Surikov Institute of Art (1946–1948, director). Professor (1940). Full member of the USSR Academy of Arts (from 1947). People’s Artist of the USSR (1958). Winner of the Lenin Prize (1966 posthumous).