1881, Aleksandropol, Erevan Province —1952, Moscow
Monumental sculptor; designer of numerous monuments to Lenin and Stalin; mastered high art techniques for producing deathmasks. Studied under Swiss sculptor Adolf Mayer; at the Academy of Arts in Munich (until 1905) under professor Wilghelm von Ruman. Lived in Paris (1905–1907). After returning to Russia, lived in Tiflis and Yalta. Moved to Moscow (1910). People’s Artist of the USSR (1943). Full member of the USSR Academy of Arts (1947). Director of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts (1944–1949). Winner of the Stalin Prize, 1st degree (1941, 1951).