1764, Norskaya (Yaroslavl Province) - 1823, St Petersburg
Painter, portraitist, history painter, icon-painter. Merchant's son. Studied under Gavriil Kozlov, Ivan Akimov and Pyotr Sokolov at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1770-85). Awarded a minor silver medal (1783), major silver medal (1774) and minor gold medal and first-class certificate for Hagar and Ismail in the Desert (1785). Fellow of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1787-1791). Taught at the Imperial Academy of Arts (from 1791). Nominated (1794) and elected (1797) to the Imperial Academy of Arts for Testing the Strength of Jan Usmar (Russian Museum. St Petersburg). Assistant professor (1798), professor (1800), rector of history painting (1820). Painted icons for the Trinity Cathedral in the St Alexander Nevsky Monastery, Kazan Cathedral, Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Saviour and the Chapel of St Michael the Archangel in St Michael's Castle.