Sculptor. Studied at the Rostov School of Arts (1926–1930), the Ilya Repin Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1931–1933). Moved to Moscow (1935). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1937). Gold medal at the World’s Art and Industry Exhibition in Paris (1937) for the sculptural group Kliment Voroshilov on Horseback (1936). Worked at the Mitrophan Grekov Studio of Military Artists in Moscow (1943–1960). Main designer of two of the most famous Soviet war monuments: the Soviet War Memorial in Berlin’s Treptower Park (1946–1949; Stalin Prize of 1950) and the statue The Motherland Calls in Mamayev Kurgan in Volgograd (1963–1967; Lenin Prize of 1970). Winner of the Stalin Prizes (1946–1950). Full member of the USSR Academy of Arts (1953). People’s Artist of the USSR (1959). Hero of Socialist Labour (1967).