1906, Sursko-Litovskoye, Ekaterinoslav Province — 1988, Moscow
Painter. Studied at the workers’ art school in Moscow (1926–1929); VKhUTEIN, graphic department (1929); Moscow Institute of Fine Arts (1929–1935). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1930). Member of the presidium of the USSR Academy of Arts (1953–1958, 1962–1966, 1970–1974), Vice President of the USSR Academy of Arts (from 1974). People’s Artist of the USSR, full member of the USSR Academy of Arts (1953). Winner of the Stalin Prize (1949, 1951). Bronze medal at the World Exhibition in Brussels (1958). Silver medal from the USSR Academy of Arts (1959).